Why is this important you ask? Dr. Paul Dean, one of our practicing Dermatologist at Skin Resource.MD is a huge advocate of Vitamin D. If you know him, you know about taking your Vitamin D daily.
Here is what you need to know:
A sufficient amount of Vitamin D is important for normal growth development of bones and teeth as well as helping fight against certain diseases. Vitamin D has the ability to not only fight disease but also reduces depression and helps facilitate a normal immune system. If that’s not enough, it also has amazing benefits with osteoporosis, arthritis and acne. So from bones to joints to skin...it does everything!
Who should take Vitamin D?
Everyone of all ages. These are factors of who and why someone would need to increase their intake of vitamin D:
- People who get low exposure to sunlight
- People who work indoors most of the day
- People who may live in areas with increased smog
These are just a few conditions where someone may not be getting the adequate amount of vitamin D.
Not too worry...there are several ways to get your Vitamin D:
- Diet: Vitamin rich foods include fish such as sardines, tuna, swordfish. Other items are fish oil and egg yolks and other Vitamin D fortified foods.
- Sunlight: Getting 15-20 minutes of sunlight a day will increase your vitamin D production. Be sure to avoid the hours between 10am-3pm as this is when the harmful rays are at their strongest.
- Supplements: This is probably the most efficient way to get the right amount of Vitamin D. Be sure to check with your physician to get the correct units to take.