Eating a healthy, well-balanced diet and having healthy looking skin go hand in hand. While there is not a ton of proof that certain foods can be harmful to your skin, what we absolutely know is that a diet rich in antioxidants, vitamins and healthy fats can having huge benefits to young and aging skin.
There are different categories to break down your foods to make sure you are getting the proper nutrients daily and healthy glowing skin.
- Omega-3 fatty foods: These consist of healthy fats or foods rich with omega-3 such as fatty fish, walnuts, avocados, chia seeds, and flax seed
- Antioxidant Rich , Vitamins A and E: sweet potatoes, carrots, almond butter, strawberries, pomegranate, and dark chocolate
There are so many antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables that can fall into this category. Think the darker and brighter the fruit or vegetable is, the more rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
- Vitamin C rich foods are know to boost collagen levels in the skin: citrus fruits, kale broccoli, and bell peppers
- Drink water! Staying hydrated is another big component of what we take in and how it affects our bodies. Staying hydrated is key to healthy skin and overall health.
- There are also supplements and even spices to add to food, if these foods are not in your daily diet.
Eating a well-balanced diet is only part of what needs to be done to obtain optimal health and great looking skin, but it is an important piece!